Hi Friends, in this post, we are going to discuss Wine on Ubuntu for Linux OS and how to install Wine on Ubuntu. Today, many applications are developed and released for both Smartphones and PC windows. Most of the applications are designed mainly for Android or PC Windows version first. Because of this issue, other platform users like Blackberry, Windows phone, Linux OS users are can’t able to use some applications. After the technology development, there are many alternative applications are developed for these platforms. After the year 2016, the usage of Ubuntu Linux OS gaining more and more ground in the personal desktop use.
But still, there are large numbers of programs which are only usable through Microsoft Windows. Are you wanted to use all the application on your Ubuntu OS? One way is available for that. Yes. By using the application Wine, you can possible to run any of your favorite Windows application on your Ubuntu Linux OS. If you want to use the Wine application on Ubuntu, then read this article carefully Wine on Ubuntu.
Wine On Ubuntu Linux OS:
Wine on Ubuntu is a free and open source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Linux operating system like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Elementary OS etc. Wine on Ubuntu implements the Windows Application Binary interface entirely in userspace. Sometimes, Wine doesn’t run some applications perfectly on your Linux OS. For that issue, Wine access some third party application like Wine tricks, Wine-Doors, PlayOnLinux, IEs4 Linux etc to access any Windows applications on your Desktop.
Wine Tricks: It is a script to install some basic components required for some application to run under Wine and it is developed and maintained by Wine Team Wine on Ubuntu.
Wine-Doors: It is an application management tool for the desktop which is used to add the functionality to Wine.
PlayOnLinux: It is an application which is used to ease the installation especially for Gaming applications.
IEs4 Linux: It is used to install all the versions of Internet Explorer.
How to Install Wine on Ubuntu Linux OS:
If you want to download Wine on Ubuntu, then you should carefully follow the below procedure.
- First, you must visit Ubuntu’s App center and search Wine application in the search box.
- Now, click the install button to begin the installation of Wine application.
- After installation, you will need to configure Wine before you use it.
- Now, open the terminal from Application -> Accessories-> Terminal
- Type Winecfg and press Enter button. It will create a folder on your desktop which will allow you to run any programs.
- After that, you have to set the Windows Emulation configuration by adjusting the settings on different tabs like Applications, Libraries, Graphics, Drives, Audio, and Desktop Integration. Make the settings adjustment as per your convenience. Most of them allow it as default.
- Now, Install any windows application to run with Wine on your Linux OS
- After installation, open the terminal and Type the name of the application.
- For example, if you download a file named “itunes_installer.exe”, “then type Wine itunes_installer.exe” on terminal and press Enter.
- Now, this will run the application as you were using in the Windows OS.
- After that, you have to set the location of the application to be placed.
- That’s it. Finally, you can able to run any Windows application on Ubuntu Linux OS using Wine application.
I hope this article must give you detailed information about Wine on Ubuntu and how to use Wine on Ubuntu Linux OS. Hurry up! Install the Wine application on your Linux OS and enjoy your favorite Windows applications on your Linux OS.
wine on ubuntu 16.04
wine on ubuntu 14.04
wine on ubuntu 16.10